Wednesday, 16 May 2012

Prayer is... a relationship

A couple of weeks ago my husband was away on a mission trip to Congo. During that trip he was staying in the back end of beyond, in one of the poorest villages in central Africa. They had no electricity - except for a generator which amazingly appeared one evening so that they could all watch the Chelsea/Bayern Munich match!! :) But for us this was a big challenge. You see my husband and I are always connected. No matter where in the world he has travelled (and he travels a lot!), he is always on the end of his phone - whether to call or text - he's always there when I need him. And in the 12 years that we've been married there hasn't been one day when I haven't been in contact with him - except for this trip. We are THAT couple that text each other all the time, or that are always together, or that text each other while in the same house when we have friends in - just to chat (and maybe flirt just a little!!). We are sickening, I admit, but we are always connected. This trip was hard - I got one text most days, but there were a couple of days when there was no contact at all.

My heart broke. I started to panic that something awful had happened to him, whilst trying to tell myself his phone had obviously lost charge. I felt as if part of me was missing. Even with my four boys - I felt alone.

This was all because my husband couldn't text me. All because I didn't have any contact with him and I couldn't chat to him. All because I felt I had no-body to share my day or talk through my worries with.

This experience brought home to me how important communication is within my marriage and my life. But how much more important is it for us to feel this way in our relationship with God? Prayer is talking to God. It is the way in which we express ourselves to the One who loves us much more than any one on this planet ever will. It is the way we express our love; our thankfulness; our repentance; our desire to please Him. And how often do we take it for granted and maybe come once every few days, or once a week as we sit in church on a Sunday?

I want us to really focus on why prayer is such a big part of our lives and our relationship with God. Over the next few days I will be delving into the Bible to look at prayer and to look at how talking to and with God can transform us beyond our wildest dreams. I want to challenge my view and challenge myself to take my prayer life to  the next level. I will also be looking at how amazing it is to prayer with and for others. Ever hear of '5 in focus'?? You will!!

But until then... remember to

No comments:

Post a Comment