Tuesday, 29 May 2012

When do you pray?

My husband just came home from a trip to Poland where he was doing some sports ministry. While he was there, the leader of the organisation he works with challenged him to walk 5km every morning. When I heard this I was intrigued. My husband is relatively fit (he’s a football coach) and so has no need to walk health-wise.

But the answer was simple. He challenged him to walk 5km each morning to get away from everything and pray. Just pray. No head-phones with worship music; no chats with a friend. Walking alone to pray.

I love this idea in so much as it gives us time to be alone with God and pour out our thoughts and prayers to Him, but as I am a person who uses their hands a lot while she talks, I think I might get a few strange looks from passers-by!

For me, the main places that I pray are when I am doing something else. I pray when I’m in the car driving from one place to another. I pray when I’m standing at the kitchen sink peeling potatoes. I pray when I’m running a bath for my boys. I pray when I’m doing the school runs and waiting for the boys to come out to the car.

But for me the challenge is not getting time to pray. It’s finding a way to be still with God. Finding the time and patience to close myself in my room and wait on God. Talking to Him where He has my whole attention and nothing is waiting to be done. Spending time pouring my heart out and waiting in the silence for Him to speak in His still small voice.

I’ve never been a very patient person and I am very easily distracted so this is my greatest challenge and one I am intent on battling and beating! I long to be able to spend time with my God and King first thing in the morning, just being in His Holy Presence.

What’s your greatest challenge when it comes to prayer?

No comments:

Post a Comment