Monday, 18 June 2012

The Dining Room...

‘This, explains Munger, is the room of appetites and desires. Are you feeding on fare fit for a child of the King? Food that feeds your soul and satisfies your spiritual hunger? What provisions are there that shouldn’t be… and what nourishment needs to be there that isn’t?’  (Elizabeth George)



This is another big one for me. As I have already shared with you all, I am overweight and not through any medical condition – through years of overeating and eating the wrong things. In fact as I read these questions I definitely cringed. I have not been eating the fare fit for a daughter of the King and I definitely have too much that shouldn’t be anywhere near my mouth!

My husband summed it up when we were having a very frank discussion about this the other day. He told me that he could tell when I was binging because I would hide the chocolate I had bought and that it was the one time he knew I wouldn’t share any of it – even if it happened to be a box of Thornton’s. It made me think about how much I eat in secret, so that no-one will tell me to stop but mostly so I won’t have to give any of it away. That’s how greedy and selfish I get.

It is astonishing how easily I can dive into these moods where I just stuff chocolate, crisps and buns into me like there is no tomorrow. But I am actively trying to work on it. As I mentioned the other day, I am committing my journey to God and also working my way through Lysa Terkeurst’s book ‘Made to Crave’ – focusing on craving God rather than food and making sure that my spiritual hunger isn’t being fed by food instead of the Word.

As 1 John 2:15-16 says

Do not love this world nor the things it offers you, for when you love the world, you do not have the love of the Father in you. For the world offers only a craving for physical pleasure, a craving for everything we see, and pride in our achievements and possessions. These are not from the Father, but are from this world.’

And I love this verse in 1 Corinthians 10:23 – a definite one to memorise…

‘You say, “I am allowed to do anything”—but not everything is good for you.
You say, “I am allowed to do anything”—but not everything is beneficial.’

So my question for you for today is this -  how are your eating habits? Are you eating food fit for your position as a daughter of the King? Or are you binging in secret and letting food control you? Are you eating to live or are you living to eat?

I’d love to hear from you on this one – we are all in this together.
Keep shining…J

1 comment:

  1. I don't eat in secert but id do eat loads of wrong foods, i find that depending what mood im in it will determen what i eat. Then there are the fads where i will eat extermley healthy for a period and then extermley un healthy for periods, bit like a yoyo i guest. I have notice however while ive been here in England for a few days getn 3 good meals ive notice a extrem differance in many things, my sleep and tiredness being the major one. Something to learn from and try my best to keep up when i get back home this evening.

    ReplyDelete