Tuesday, 19 June 2012

The Living Room

‘According to this delightful story, the living room is where we are meant to meet morning by morning for quiet times filled with fellowship with Christ. Are you neglecting to enter this room as often as you should?’  (Elizabeth George)
Oooh… another big one!! And I thought this week of challenges would be easy!! This is such an important part of life. And yet this is an area of life that can fall by the wayside very easily. It’s easy to start the day with the best of intentions of visiting this room and spending some quality time in God’s presence… only to reach the end of the day and find that you’ve missed it completely.

And I think it’s also an area that we find hard to be honest about. IF we talk about our quiet times when we aren’t actually doing them we tend to refer back to the last passage we read or something God taught us last week or last year, rather than be honest and say ‘It’s not going so well right now’.
We need to start being honest with each other. We are all part of the one body of Christ and if we start to lie to each other so the other person doesn’t find out what’s really going on in my life, we not only hurt ourselves but we hurt Christ. They are the very people who can help you, encourage you and maybe even hold you accountable for a while so that you can get back to spending time daily with God daily.

A group that really helps with this is Good Morning Girls. I’ve mentioned them before because I’m part of their accountability programme. It really does make a difference if, like me, you find it hard to actually sit down and do it. You join a group of like-minded women and each morning you do the reading (set out to go through a book of the Bible usually) and then email / facebook the rest of your group with your thoughts on the verses. They in turn do the same and so, not only are you delving into the Word of God, thinking about it and applying it to your life BUT you are also getting other people’s view on it all at the same time. It is well worth thinking about if you do struggle to stay accountable in this area. They are in the middle of a programme at the moment but will be starting a new one in the autumn.
In my dream morning, I would love to be able to get up at 6ish and spend some good time in God’s presence, reading and praying, before my boys get up at 7am. Unfortunately the reality of having two wee ones who don’t quite ‘get’ the ‘no coming downstairs before 7am’ rule interrupts, so I may get up but am joined within 2 minutes by one or both of them! I do have to be honest and say that I do sometimes just use this as an excuse and sit and mindlessly watch TV with them instead of going into the other room and continuing with my plan… but I’m working on it! As with all the other areas we’ve covered – I’m a work in progress and thankfully God hasn’t finished with me yet!

So onto today’s question for you – how are your ‘quiet times’ going? Do you visit this room as often as you should? And have you been there today? Or are you planning to but never actually get there?

Psalm 5:3 says
‘Listen to my voice in the morning, Lord.
Each morning I bring my requests to you and wait expectantly.’

What more can I say? Abraham, David and Jesus all spent time with God every morning and it gave them the strength they needed to get through the day. We definitely need to do the same. How are you really doing? Let me know below so that we can pray with you and help you to get into the Word each and every day.

Keep shining…J

No comments:

Post a Comment