Monday, 25 June 2012

Pray for a healthy body...

So for the last few weeks we’ve looked at why we need to manage our physical lives and our bodies – so now we’re moving onto Elizabeth George’s top ten tips for doing just that! I’m going to take one each day so I hope it will be helpful!!

1. PRAY FOR A HEALTHY BODY…
I love this! As I go through this journey with you one major point that I am learning is how important prayer is in every part of my life. And my physical life is no exception. In all things I must start with prayer.
I know that I can’t do anything without Him, and although I have given my battle with food over to God, I don’t think I’ve ever prayed for my body in the way Elizabeth suggests. It has always seemed strange to me to pray about something so trivial when most people seem to be praying for things like world peace, the persecuted church and real problems in their worlds. But then I read this chapter!
She challenges us to pray about everything…
·         Am I trying to lose weight? Pray that I’ll overcome the temptation of food…

·         Am I trying to start exercising? Pray that I’ll be able to get up and do it when the time comes…

·         Am I trying to make better food choices? Pray every time I go to eat something, that I will think about what I eat and glorify God with my choices…

·         Am I trying to break a bad habit? Pray every time the temptation hits or pray that God will help me to find ways to avoid it – like going to bed earlier to avoid the munchies late at night!

·         Am I battling a disease? Pray for God’s strength in my weakness (2 Corinthians 12:9-10) and then pray for the right people to treat me, for the right people to comfort me and for healing – whether it be in this world or the next.

God really is interested in every part of my day and He is never too busy to listen to us – even if it’s something trivial – He is always there just waiting for us to come to Him… with everything. How amazing is that?!! Our God, Creator of the universe, actually wants me to bring Him all my puny problems, even my silly decisions, like whether lunch is a doughnut or a salad… and give them all over to Him!

On a practical level we also have to see the benefits of bringing this to God and of focusing on our physical lives as well as our spiritual ones. 3 John 2 says this

Dear friend, I hope all is well with you and that
you are as healthy in body as you are strong in spirit.

Are our physical lives as strong as our spiritual lives? Do we put the same emphasis on it or do we put more time and effort into being spiritual? I have come to realise that unless I have the physical energy and put the time and effort into keeping myself healthy and fit, I can’t do all that I am made to do – from being a mum and a wife,  to serving God with all that I can be. So I pray that I will get my body to be as healthy as my spiritual life so that I can truly glorify God.

And as you travel this journey with me, I pray the same for you. What ways have you prayed for your body today?

Keep shining… J

No comments:

Post a Comment