Friday, 22 June 2012

The rec room

What comprises your recreation and activities? And what do you watch and listen to? Could Christ be a part of your ‘fun’?’ (Elizabeth George)


My first reaction when I read this one was ‘huh?’!  What exactly is she asking and how can I put God into my ‘fun’? Recreation is described as being refreshment by means of some pastime, agreeable exercise or the like’. It is a pastime, a diversion from everyday life and something physical that helps us to relax. So the first question to ask yourself is what do I do for recreation.

For me this is a big question because I’m not a very sporty person and I definitely would struggle to get in the required 60 minutes of exercise if I even tried. I know that this is part of my weight management problem so I am definitely trying to get it sorted! Also being part of a sports ministry means I have tried lots of different things over the years, but nothing that I have managed to love enough to do again!! I played football for a year, played netball for a year and tried various other sporty things like archery, tennis, going to the gym and various aerobic classes. The truth of the matter is I’m a tad lazy… and when you mix that with being extremely unfit it’s not a good look!

But there is one thing which I love to do that inspired me when I thought about this ‘room’. I love to put my iPod on and walk. I could walk for an hour with musical accompaniment and I used to listen to anything and everything until I realised that this was one way I could put God into my ‘fun’. So I took my iPod and rearranged all the music on it. I took off all the secular music and added some more upbeat Christian tunes and also some podcasts of sermons I had wanted to listen to. Now when I stick my headphones on and enter my own little world, God is what I’m focused on and I either sing along to worship music (yes – I do look and sound very strange!!) or I listen to a set of very knowledgeable Bible teachers expound God’s Word.

And I know of friends who when they get on their treadmills or exercise bikes, will put on a Gospel channel or catch up on DVDs of ladies conferences. These are all practical ways in incorporate God into your workout and life. And when God is centre of all that you do you will naturally shine and people WILL notice.

Colossians 3:23 tells us
'Work willingly at whatever you do, as though
you were working for the Lord rather than for people.’


So I have been challenged to get off my bum chair (ahem!) and do my daily walk for God, using my iPod to put God into my ‘fun’. How do you do it? I’d love to hear your practical ideas so please do comment below so you can be an inspiration to the rest of us.

Here’s to all those of you sweating with God today!!
Keep shining… J



1 comment: