Wednesday, 20 June 2012

The Study

‘Are there any reading materials in your library that Christ’s eyes are too pure to look upon? Why not replace them with the books of the Bible? Pack your bookshelves full of the Word of God and full of books about the Word of God.’  (Elizabeth George)

This is a good one to start with especially in the light of the posts last week! As I told you before I love to read. I have been challenged several times about my reading materials and I have to admit to having two different reading collections! I was introduced to Mills and Boon in my sixth lower year and that started a love-affair with romance novels. Don’t get me wrong – there are bits in every book that I hate – and I usually skim four or five pages at a go when I get to that section – but I love the story of girl-meets-boy, they fall in love and end up together no matter what.

Unfortunately because of my skim-reading ability and my love of books I can get obsessed with reading one after another – I think my record was reading 100 books in a month. I’m not proud of it and it was before I was married – but it is definitely an issue with me. And as I have already mentioned I am very influenced by what I read. I can read M&B and be fine but read a Christian romance and become unsettled. Or I can read an online story and be fine but read an M&B and think ‘I want that’.

I have found that if I stick to Christian romances that are set around military or detective murders (I do love a good murder – and it doesn’t make me want to go out and kill someone which is great!!) then I don’t get dissatisfied at all. And I have made a commitment to not stick my nose in a book when I can be spending time with my hubby and the boys, or when I have a to-do list that will take me a life time to complete!!

I also love these verses – my husband taught our boys these verses when the eldest was going through a stage of being told various bad words and bad things by a boy in his class. But now they know them and will always have them to reflect on and remember when they need them most.

 ‘Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble,
whatever things are just, whatever things are pure,
whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report,
if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things.’

Philippians 4:8


So my challenge to you today is to look honestly about your reading material – both in real book form or on your Kindle or computer – and think about what changes you need to make. I’d love to hear from you so please do feel free to comment below and let us know what changes you need to make, or have made.
Keep Shining...J

No comments:

Post a Comment