Saturday, 28 July 2012

London 2012 Olympics

I was hoping to sit down and write out my final two posts in the ‘Managing your Marriage’ section last night, but I got totally waylaid watching the opening ceremony of the London 2012 Olympics. It was amazing! We actually ended up watching it until the speeches section and then taped the rest!

My favourite bits included the formation of the Olympic rings, the music montage, crying my way through ‘Abide with me’ and of course the athletes arriving. All the outfits made me smile – from the tribal dresses, grass skirts, Italy’s  Armani, the US’s Ralph Lauren and the handbags and heels from the San Marino girls, everyone made an impression. That is always such a special time. Everyone gets their time to shine, proud to be representing their country, determined to do their best and achieve all they can achieve. Not only will they bring glory to themselves if they win a medal, but also to their country as every medal is celebrated and every achievement written into the history books.

It just reminded me of why I write this blog. My dream and my goal is to help women to learn how to shine, bringing glory not only for themselves, but for the God of all creation. I want to encourage ordinary women to shine where they are, helping them see that God has placed them in that exact spot for this exact time and to see that, as it says in Esther, they were born ‘for such a time as this’. I want to help anyone who happens upon this to see Christ in it and to want to know more about Him, and to realise that through it all, my goal is ultimately to bring Him glory, honour and praise.

God sees everything we do – whether that’s something remarkably special like winning an Olympic gold medal or whether it’s a little more mundane like making sure your family (or just you!) have clean clothes for the day ahead – and He knows what our heart condition is like when we do it. We need to make sure that everything we do is for Him.

'And whatever you do or say, do it as a representative of the Lord Jesus,
giving thanks through him to tho God the Father.'
Colossians 3:17

And when we do, He remembers and will reward us. We may not get a gold medal here on earth, although with every Olympics I start to dream of suddenly ‘finding’ my sport and winning gold at the next games… {sigh}… but if we live right, in the centre of God’s will and follow His commands, we’ll get something even better for all eternity.

So until then, keep shining girls… J
(And if that happens to be in Armani or Ralph Lauren or at the Olympic Games, then be sure to shine a little brighter!!)

2 comments:

  1. loved this! Here across the pond I stayed up and watched it all- couldn't help myself! You were probably getting up by the time I went to bed. "God sees everything we do"- amazing isn't it, every thought, every emotion, every action. Sometimes I feel like we're all toddlers- if we close our eyes and we can't see then no one else can see either- getting to that awareness of "God in me" all the time is my goal. thanks, girl this was just what I needed on a Saturday morning! N

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your encouragement Nancy!! Lovely to have you with us :)

      Delete