Monday, 2 July 2012

A new battery and admitting your sin...

I’m back!! At last – and I’m so excited to be back!

For those who didn’t know, my net-book’s battery decided to die and I had to wait for a new one to be delivered before I could get back online. And I really missed it.

The one thing I did realise, however, was the amount of time I spend online – either doing this or browsing the lovely blogs I read! I have definitely been spending a little too much time online, but I’ve put a plan into practice to combat this. I have committed to just spending half an hour on each morning and each evening. Now for some of you that might be A LOT of time to spend checking emails and blogs etc, but for me it really is a big drop, and I do actually spend most of that time in ministry related viewing and not on the gossip sites!!

But this brings me back to our series and about managing our physical bodies. The second of Elizabeth George’s disciplines was to ADMIT YOUR SIN. The Bible is full of examples where sin in someone’s life directly or indirectly affected their health and their physical bodies.

Let me clarify at this point that I am NOT talking about the sin of the parents being responsible for a child’s disability or anything of that nature. This is not a topic I intend to address as I don’t know anything about it and my first impressions yell out ‘NO…’ so we’re not going there!

I am talking about examples like King David in Psalm 32:3-4 where he says:

‘When I kept silent, my bones grew old through my groaning
all day long. For day and night Your hand was heavy upon me;
My vitality was turned into the drought of summer.’

But when he admitted his sin, and called upon the Lord notice the difference in both his heart and his language.

‘Be glad in the Lord and rejoice, you righteous;
and shout for joy, all your upright in heart!’

We need to remember that our spiritual life DOES have an effect on our physical lives. And how does this link into my story at the start?? J I have been very honest with you all about my passions for books, online browsing and of course my struggle with food. So when I talk about my sin having an effect on my physical life I know what I’m talking about! In the vicious circle that is my life I find myself sitting in the evening eating and reading, spending time online or watching TV and nibbling, rather than doing my exercise dvd or going for a walk. Not this may not seem like some great ‘sin’ for some, but I can assure you that the more I ignore it and let it slide, the more damage it does to my physical life. For me this is real. It is a real struggle against a real sin. And when I keep a short account with God and really give Him this, I find it much easier to be healthy, eat healthily and even do the odd bit of exercise…and when I don’t I end up being 6 stone overweight and very unfit and unhealthy. I know which way I want to be!!

Do you have any sins that need to be dealt with and confessed that are having an effect on your physical life? Why not spend some time this evening dealing with them before God.

Hope this is helping… and I’m glad to be back!!
Keep shining… J

No comments:

Post a Comment