Friday, 3 August 2012

A servant? Seriously?

You shall be a servant…


“…Do you have the gift of helping others? Do it with all the strength and energy that God supplies. Then everything you do will bring glory to God through Jesus Christ. All glory and power to him forever and ever! Amen.”
1 Peter 4:11

My husband recently went to one of the Mighty Men conferences run by Angus Buchan – the farmer featured in the ‘Faith like Potatoes’ book and film. The conference was fantastic (according to my hubby) and one of the subjects Angus touched on was getting back to our Biblical roles and letting men be men and women be women. I have listened to the final talk online – I don’t want to listen to the ones for men only – they were for my hubby and I don’t want to start nip-picking at him because of something I heard!! – and he is a great speaker.  If you want to listen it’s the Sunday morning session and can be found HERE.

But it made me think. In our house we are quite traditional. I do the cooking, cleaning and all the laundry, while my husband does anything out-door, and takes care of all the important legal and financial things. The only exception is that my husband does most of the vacuuming in our house – when I was pregnant with my eldest son, a wonderful midwife told him that I shouldn’t be vacuuming as it was bad for my back!

It may not suit a lot of women, especially in today’s society where women are told they can have it all and for some the thought of being at home and doing cooking and cleaning makes them shudder, but I love it. I love the fact that I am there to care for my husband in this way. Not as a servant, but as a helper, enabling him to do what God has called him to do more easily and more freely.

For the MARRIED ladies – my challenge to you is to ask your husbands for the top three things that they need you to do for them to make their lives easier and then work them into your daily routine. You may be surprised at the answers!!

For the SINGLE ladies – yesterday I asked you to think of three things you are very good at. Today’s challenge is to think about whose life you could make easier by helping them in that way. And then go do!! J


No comments:

Post a Comment