Friday, 28 September 2012

Being the best...


Over the last week we’ve had a look at a couple of suggestions from Elizabeth George on how to get into the habit of making our house a home. There are a couple more in her book, but I just want to highlight two more before we move on.  Today we will look at ‘being the best’ and tomorrow we will take a little peek at what it means to ‘be creative’.

Being the best…

I don’t think I have ever been the best at anything. Growing up I was able to learn a couple of different musical instruments (piano, guitar, violin and flute) but I never stuck at any of them long enough to get good or be the best at it. The same can be said of my hobbies – I did ballet, horse-riding, crafts like cross-stitching and knitting, sports like netball, hockey and even kickboxing, and singing in choirs or in church – but again nothing was practiced enough or followed long enough to make me skilled at it. As my mum used to joke, I am a ‘Jack of all trades’ and a master of none.

I am also a bit of a perfectionist, although you wouldn’t be able to tell that from looking at my house! The problem is that my ‘perfectionism’ problem means that I won’t start something until I know that I will be able to complete it and complete it perfectly. This causes all sorts of problems, mostly because if I don’t have the time to a job in its entirety then I think there is no point in starting at all to only do a little. When you add this to a house of four boys who don’t know the meaning of ‘playing quietly’ I’m in trouble!

But over these last few weeks I have come to the conclusion that while I am never going to be perfect, it shouldn’t stop me trying to be the best.  Slowly but surely I have started to de-clutter my house, finally coming to terms with the fact that I can’t do it all and finish it in one sitting. I am working my way round, room by room, in do-able chunks, but I am actually DOING it and finding a sense of achievement I haven’t had in quite a while. My plan is now to work through each room, following a ‘De-clutter, Deep clean, Decorate’ action plan, meaning that by Christmas my house should look very different! I may even take before and after pictures, but I’ll let you know when we reach the ‘after’ phase!!

I want to be the best at keeping my house – not the best in the world with a spotless house that no one wants to sit down in, but the best I can be, putting my time, effort and resources into learning, reading and practising what I need to, in order to turn my house in a home and a haven for us all. I am actively reading blogs and house-keeping books to help get me into a routine and I’m always open to suggestions on how to do things!! I long for my children and husband to be able to say…

“There are many virtuous and capable women in the world,
but you surpass them all!”
Proverbs 31:29

And so I will keep working and trying to learn how to be the best that I can be.
 
 
In the midst of this practical breakthrough, however, came a spiritual breakthrough that has astounded me. The other day, in the middle of my mini breakdown, some friends of mine who were praying for me sent me some beautiful verses to read and think about. Not only did these verses help to focus my wayward mind and ground me, but they inspired me to look at life from a slightly different viewpoint.

I am the best at something. I am the best at being me – the daughter, sister, wife, mother, friend, Child of God and daughter of the King – the woman that God created. God doesn’t make mistakes, and He created me exactly the way he wanted to. It’s true that I am on a journey with Him and that He is moving me from where I was (in the depths of my sin) to where He wants me to be (Christ-like), but in the midst of this, I am exactly where I should be and who He created me to be. I am the best wife Alan could have – because God brought us together. I am the best mother the boys could have – because God chose to bless me with them and chose to make me their mum. And I am becoming the best woman I can be – because through Christ, God looks on me and sees me holy, blameless and without fault (Col 1:22).

I may be on the journey and have a long way to go, and I may stray from the path a thousand times a day, but I take great assurance and peace knowing that God is on this journey with me, to turn me back to the right way, to help me conquer those things which pull me down and to help me become more Christ-like as I learn more about Him.

I hope this has encouraged you practically to go and learn how to be the best at what you do, but also spiritually to see that when you are walking closely with God, He helps you to become the best version of you that you could ever be. And through it all, we can glorify Him.

Keep shining…

No comments:

Post a Comment