Monday, 17 September 2012

Discipline 1 - Be dedicated to managing your home

Homemaking is hard. It is definitely the hardest part of being a wife and a mother for me. And no matter how many times I wash the dishes, launder the clothes or pick up the toys, there is always something else to do, or more clothes and dishes being used!! It is a never ending cycle that can drive you crazy if you let it.

For me, one of the main problems I have with homemaking and housekeeping is my attitude. No matter how many times I say Colossians 3:23 to myself, I still grumble over having to clean walls with dirty hand prints up them, for what seems like the thousandth time. 

But I don't want it to be like that. I long for the day when I can enjoy serving my family in this way, keeping a lovely clean house for them to enjoy and for all of us to relax in... that day just hasn't come yet. 

I am just too pre-occupied with everything else I have to do in my life - school runs, helping at the school, doing Bible studies, meeting women for coffees, running to and from all the extra-curriculum activities, church activities and trying to carve some 'me time' out of the week... There just seems to be too much to fit in and when faced with the choice, homemaking always gets pushed to the end, never to be done unless we've totally run out of clothes or dishes. 

I need to adjust my thinking, focus on what is important and get an very big attitude adjustment... and fast. My little boys arent going to be little for long, and I really want them to grow up knowing that their home was a place of love and peace - not lost undies and a mad dash every morning trying to find socks that match. 

Matthew 6:21 tells us quite clearly that...

"Wherever your treasure is, there the desires of your heart will also be"

Where is my treasure? What is really important? Is it helping out in school so that I look good? Or helping out at home so that everything is where it should be when the boys need it? Is it meeting three or four women for coffee to discipline them in their journey with God... or making sure that my 11 year old son has a space where he can have a quiet time in peace and tranquility without a mad woman shouting her head off because everything is going wrong again??

This has been such a challenging post to write... and it's just the first discipline! I can't imagine what the rest are going to be like! I hope that you will also be challenged - challenged to make our houses into homes that radiate God's love and peace to lall who enter. 

Keep shining....

1 comment:

  1. Tanya, this is a great post.
    Be good to yourself. You can't expect yourself to love it every day. It's ok to not enjoy some of the work some days. It's sort of a rhythm of life....
    Just a thought.

    -Amanda

    ReplyDelete