Tuesday, 25 September 2012

Discipline 5 - Be there!

So… last week we started looking at how we can be better at making our homes the haven that they should be and going through the 10 disciplines that Elizabeth George suggests. Today’s discipline is a big one!
 
I don’t know about you, but when I sat and wrote out a schedule yesterday, I felt a bit overwhelmed by all I had to fit into it, and then trying to figure out what was and what was not ok to leave out! Today’s post is about that exact thing!
 
In order to get our houses to be the homes we’ve always dreamt of, whether as a haven to our world weary family, or just in an aesthetically pleasing way, we need to BE THERE! There is no way in this world, unless you employ a cleaner, a chef and a full time masseur (sorry that last one was me dreaming a little!!) that you can have as busy lives as we all have, and still create a haven at home. It is impossible, and if we try to ‘do it all’ then we are setting ourselves up for failure and all the feelings of inadequacy and baggage that comes with it.
 
Don’t do this to yourselves ladies! There are enough people in the world trying to knock us down and watching us to see if we fail, that we really don’t need to be making life harder than it is. I know that I can be my own worst enemy. I self-sabotage my diet plans, my schedules (when I get around to making them) and my house. I get easily distracted, get easily fooled into thinking checking something online is more urgent than doing my ironing, and can easily tell myself that there is no point in starting something because I’ll never complete It and I don’t want to fail again.
 
But Christ died to give us freedom! True freedom – the freedom to leave all the guilt and shame behind and arise each new day with the joy that only He can give! We need to aim to get up each morning, being realistic with our schedules and our day plans, knowing that He will help us to get what’s really important done, and that everything else can and will be ok waiting!
 
Our challenge today is to take our week plans, look and pray through them and decided what – not if there is anything – WHAT you can take off and say no to, which will free up more time for you to create a haven at home, in turn giving you more time with your family and with God.  We all take on too much, are too busy and if you’re anything like me, hate to say no to people. But this doesn’t help us to make realistic plans, and you can end up running yourself ragged as you try to keep up and do it all.
 
Our verses today are found in Ephesians 5:15-17 and read
So be careful how you live.
Don’t live like fools, but like those who are wise.
Make the most of every opportunity in these evil days.
Don’t act thoughtlessly, but understand what the Lord wants you to do.
 
We need to make sure that we plan realistically what we can achieve during each day, give it over to the Lord and trust that He will help us to complete the important things and not to worry about everything else. We need to plan more time at home, whether it’s scheduling in cleaning the bathroom (horrid job!) or getting the family round the table at the same time for a meal – we need to be there and we need to make sure when we are there, that our focus is on the Lord and what He has for us to do for our homes.
Keep shining…

No comments:

Post a Comment