Monday, 17 September 2012

Managing your home...

I am so excited about this section of Elizabeth George's book!! So far we have looked at managing our spiritual lives, our bodies, our marriages and our children... and now we get to have a look at how to create heaven on earth by managing our homes. 

I want so much for my house to make the transaction into becoming a home where my children can relax and where my husband has somewhere to turn off from everything in the outside world. I truly want to create a haven - a piece of heaven on earth - somewhere each family knows that they are loved and accepted unconditionally. 

But for me, the state of my house doesn't reflect that at all and I struggle to find the balance between getting the house tidy and my vision of perfect, and doing everything else in my busy life. This is probably one of the key reasons I wanted to read the book in the first place, so I am very excited to hear what gems Elizabeth has for us now!

The first things we want to look at are Elizabeth's thoughts on what God's guidelines are for homemaking. She suggests that there are four things we need to think about. 

  • We need to build our home - Proverbs 9:1 tells us that a woman's house is built on wisdom. We want to learn to build our house so that through good sense and a wise woman, it can be strong, and not easily torn down around us. 
  • We need to watch over our home - Proverbs 31:27 is a wonderful verse, which I often quote to myself, especially when I am sitting on the sofa looking at the like of ironing on my floor!!  "She carefully watches over everything in her household and suffers nothing from laziness" - definitely a key verse to help us to understand how the wise woman behaves...
  • We need to manage our home - taking care of our homes can be a wonderful way to stay out of trouble!! 1 Timothy 5:13-14 is an example of how focusing on taking care of our homes and being homemakers can stop gossiping and idleness from wasting our time and days. 
  • We need to love our home - Titus 2:3-5 tells us that we are to love our husbands, children and our homes. We need to stop thinking of homemaking as a chore or as something that stops us doing what we want to do, but as something that truly blesses our family and can show them our love for them in a very practical way. 

Over the next two weeks we will be looking at the 10 disciplines for managing our homes. I know that this is something I really need to work on - you don't want to know what my poor husband thinks of our house at the moment - I call it a work in progress!! So I hope you'll join me as we seek to glorify God through our homes!

Keep shining... 

No comments:

Post a Comment