Friday, 26 October 2012

My big mouth...

Over the last five weeks I have been studying the book of Colossians along with a group of amazing women. We are part of the Good Morning Girls programme and we are working our way through Colossians a couple of verses at a time. I am privileged to lead a couple of groups of wonderful ladies and be part of another group. This programme has proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that the Bible is a powerful book and that through it, we can truly have fellowship with each other in a way that blows my mind! 

The verse that we read yesterday cut me to the bone. We looked at Colossians 3:13.

"Make allowance for each other’s faults, and forgive anyone who offends you. Remember, the Lord forgave you, so you must forgive others." (NLT)

I have a big mouth and I am very judgemental. It's not something I am proud of at all and something I am working at but it is there in the heart of me. I am unkind, jealous, judgemental and a gossip. Whenever I am having problems or am depressed or unhappy in any area of my life, I project my thoughts onto others, focus on their faults and judge them. Then my big mouth comes into play and I say things that are unkind, ungodly and plain stupid.

If you know me personally and I have treated you like this - I apologise from the bottom of my broken heart. Please forgive me and thank you for all the grace you have given me so far.

I am a sinner and I am broken. But thankfully Christ didn't leave me like this. He took me in my judgemental brokenness and He made me whole. He took my sin and He nailed it on the tree. He took my life and gave it back to me restored and healed. I just tend to forget this and go back to my old ways far too easily.

I plan to make this verse one of my life verses from now on. I have spoken about things in a wrong way when I shouldn't have opened my mouth. I've hurt people by my words. But from this moment on, I pray that God will help me to STOP and THINK before I speak, to realise that those faults I see in others are nothing to the faults they can see in me. I want to look on everyone in my life with love, kindness and patience before loving them totally and accepting that we are all sinners and until that day when Christ comes again, we will always be. 

I urge you all to think about this verse. We can so easily spot faults, yet we have so many ourselves - both hidden and visible - and I pray that this will one of the many ways people around us can identify us as being Christ's - that we love each other and truly accept each other, faults and all. 

Let me know if you've been as challenged as I have by this!!
Keep shining... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment