Monday, 14 January 2013

A new year... a new plan...

The other day, as I walked along fulfilling one of my many New Year resolutions (to walk with my eldest son a couple of times a week), I listened to an amazingly challenging sermon. It was given by Rev W Behan from a church in New Zealand, and was on Philippians 4. It challenged me so much that I just had to share it with you! 

The sermon was the start of a series, talking about and exploring what he called the 'Principles for Spiritual Stability'. For the next couple of weeks I want us to think about the first one - Stand Firm



In the sermon he looked at three areas in which we have to stand firm, and it really struck me that this is what I want for this year. There are three areas in which we need to stand firm - in our doctrine, in our behaviour and in the Lord. We need to be sure of what we believe and why we believe it, we need to know how these fundamentals of our faith should be shown in our behaviour, in how we should shine for God, and most of all we need to stand firm in growing in our relationship with God and in our daily times with Him. 

I am so very excited to be doing this - it's something I have been so challenged about recently, and as Luke says at the start of his gospel 

"Having carefully investigated everything from the beginning, I also have decided to write a careful account for you, most honourable Theophilus, so you can be certain of the truth of everything you were taught." 
Luke 1:1-4

We need to be certain of what we are taught, putting anything we hear against the Word of God to make sure what we believe is the truth and not false teaching. I hope you will enjoy this wee series as we look at different sections of our 'statement of faith' together. 

This week I am away on a little girlie trip with my mum and sisters, so I'll be starting it on Monday coming. Until then, keep shining... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment