Monday, 7 January 2013

Desperate...


Desperate... That's exactly how I have felt at various times in my journey into the wild and exciting job of motherhood. I have felt overwhelming joy, the urge to hide under the covers and hope the boys can amuse themselves for a bit and the panic that makes me want to run away and not look back. I have struggled to find space, struggled to find a balance between what my heart tells me is the best job I could ever have, and the desire to have a life outside of being a mum, and I have struggled to breathe as the weight of my responsibility hits me. There is no way I would have survived without the daily knowledge that I have a Father God who is with me constantly and holds not only mine, but the boys' futures safe in His almighty hands. 

I dont usually do book reviews but i just had to do this one. Sarah Mae and Sally Clarkson have written a book called "Desperate: Hope For The Mom Who Needs To Breathe" and I want to tell you about it - in fact i really want to shout it from the rooftops!! It is a wonderfully written book - a conversation between a mum who is in the midst of the struggles of having younger children, and a mum who has been there and come out the other side. It is full of godly wisdom, taking you back to the Bible time and time again, reminding us that we aren't alone. Not only so we have other mums all over the world who are going through the exact same emotions as us, but as God's children we have the Holy Spirit living in us, there to help us when we just seek Him.




I have four boys and being in a house full of boys toys and boisterous souls has really challenged me - a girly girl! But God has a wonderful plan for each of us and He chose ME to be their mum, even in the midst of my pain and struggles, and I know He is there to help me every step of the way. I need to remember this every day - and this book really helped me to re-focus and take real joy in the stage of life we are in. 

I would advise any mum who is struggling, who feels as if she is being pulled apart and can't breathe, to get this book and to really get back what God says about being a mum. You will cry, laugh and be amazed as they appear to be talking about your life... and you will find verses, tips and love in every page.  There are even videos of the two authors linked at the end of each chapter, and questions for you to answer to get the most out of the book.

Sarah Mae has lots of wonderful give-aways on her site to celebrate the launch of "Desperate" but I also want to give away a copy of this wonderful book. Simply  comment below (on the blog not the FB page!!) and let me know why you need it. Then on Friday I will randomly select a winner! 

Keep shining... :)


5 comments:

  1. Hi Tanya!
    I only came across this book on Saturday for the first time, and since then I haven't been able to get it out of my head.....what an encouragement, the kind I need right now.....going through 'these stages' of tears trying to get a toddler dressed (tears from ME!) who is strong willed and determined he will get his way, and have just felt like I was sinking at times with 3 kids, when I know I shouldn't be sinking with 3!! This book makes me feel as if its ok to say it's hard, lets be honest!!

    What a blessing to get the book early to read, glad you enjoyed it, have added it to my wish list x
    Dawn MacKenzie

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like a book I could have done with many times over the last 11 years as I struggled with being a lone parent (yet possibly I would have felt the same way regardless) - fighting the emotions, knowing God is in control and Father to the Fatherless, knowing He careth for us, yet feeling so overwhelmed by life, the responsibilities I have over these little ones and the pain of doing it alone.
    I don't know if this book extends to the teenage years, but certainly looks like one I'd love to share with others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually would give it to my sister-in-law, the mama of 4 littles, ages 4, 3, 1 and newborn. I try to encourage her but the fact that I don't have any children makes it hard. This book sounds like the exact thing she needs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just checking back to see if the winner was announced?

    Dawn x

    ReplyDelete