Wednesday, 23 January 2013

What the Bible says...


So this week we have looked at a great article that gave us some great facts and evidence as to why we believe the Bible is what it claims to be - the Word of God. Then we listened to a beautiful song which reminded us that it's not just a book - it's alive - the living Word of God. So I thought that we should probably have a look at what the Bible says about itself! 

Perhaps one of the most famous passages that talks about the Bible itself is the passage in 2 Timothy 3:16-17.

"All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. It corrects us when we are wrong and teaches us to do what is right.  God uses it to prepare and equip his people to do every good work."


God's Word shows us God's heart. He speaks to us through it; He guides us through it; He comforts us through it; He rejoices with us through it; and on occasion He even rebukes us and corrects us through it. What other book in history has that kind of power or that kind of impact on the lives of people who read it? I love this picture I saw on Facebook the other day (apologies for the lack of credit - I don't know where it came from originally)



God actually speaks to us through His Word - I just find the fact that a book written thousands of years ago can spill God's voice and God's will for my life from its pages utterly amazing! I love reading - anything I can get my hands on - but I have to agree with the children's song when I say the best book to read really is the Bible!

When you think about the number of authors represented in the Bible, and the number of different types of writing, the fact that there is a common theme and a common story from start to finish is extraordinary. I love to read the different books at different times, depending on my mood - whether I need comfort and go to the Psalms, or need encouragement in my role as a woman and go to the story of Esther, Ruth or the Proverbs 31 woman, or need direction and go to Paul's letters - I love the fact that I can trust that God will speak to me through every single word of it. 

On Friday I am going to go through how to have a meaningful quiet time - how to get the most out of your daily time with God and His Word -  because if we don't know how to read the Bible then actually looking in it to find out why we believe certain doctrines or statements of faith will be a little hard!!  We want to connect with God each time we open His Word, but sometimes we can be in such a rush or in a wrong attitude and it seems like we are getting nothing from the words... Hopefully Friday's post will help encourage you in this!! 

Until then keep shining... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment