Monday, 2 September 2013

The gift of salvation....


The gifts we receive from our Heavenly Father take many forms. We have spiritual gifts, relationships, physical gifts and those life giving and life completing gifts that we take for granted every single day. I want to look at all of these as so often we just focus on one section - so you'll get a real mixture of pictures this month - some which may appear very 'spiritual' and some that will just be 'pretty'!!  :)

But today - day 2 of our series - I'm going to start with the one spiritual gift that He gave us which changed everything - salvation and eternal life through the gift of His Son. I still can't get my head around how much God loves me - even though I am a parent and I understand how much I love my sons, I couldn't imagine ever having to make kind of sacrifice for them. 




But He did. He gave us Jesus through the amazing virgin birth. He let Him grow up to truly understand every emotion we go through and every feeling we have. He let Him experience temptation, happiness, sadness, joy... He let Him experience pain, betrayal, all that life had to offer.... Until He also experienced death. 

But even more than all of that - He let His own and only Son experience what it felt like to be punished for every bad thought and action I have ever done and ever will do in my whole entire life.... He let Jesus take my punishment. When there was no need for Him to experience any of that. He was perfect. He is perfect. But He bled and died for me. 

It is so humbling that my God loves me that much that His Son was willing to die for me. And yet even after all of that I still fail Him and still sin. 

But that's not the end of the story and I thank God that despite dying for me and being buried, my Saviour rose again victorious and lives forever with His Father... With my Father... With my God. I can't wait to get to heaven and experience being in their presence knowing how much was done for me. 

The greatest gift I was ever given was the gift of an eternity to be spent on the presence of my Lord. Not because I did anything to deserve it - because trust me I never will - but because He loves me so much that He gave me the one thing He had to give - His Son.

WOW - what amazing grace!! And now we have to take it and pass it on - tell everyone we know - not just because if they don't accept Christ's sacrifice they will end up somewhere terrible, but because God loves them just as much as He loves me! It's an amazing gift - and He is offering it freely to everyone. Why do we keep it ourselves?? 

My challenge today - for myself and for you - is to really pray about sharing this amazing gift with someone. We have been given the best gift ever - and we need to pass it on. Who will you tell today? 

"God saved you by his grace when you believed. And you can’t take credit for this; it is a gift from God. Salvation is not a reward for the good things we have done, so none of us can boast about it."
(Ephesians 2:8-9 NLT)

No comments:

Post a Comment