Thursday, 5 December 2013

Shining the light....

We have been so blessed by God and everyone around us, so we like to take Christmas and use this festive season as a time to help encourage others and introduce them to the God who can bring them through whatever they are going through. Each week of December we take a different 'cause' to give to in a practical way, and discuss with our boys why they need some help right now. This week we want to think about a problem on streets all over the world. 

This is something that has been close to us recently - something our extended family was touched by - and something so many thousands of families are touched by every day. Some of us can easily walk past someone living on the streets and never look twice. Some of us take them to heart and want to do everything we can to help. Most of us are somewhere in the middle - not sure where to look but not sure what to do either. 

This wee video is amazing - and reminds us that any of us could end up in that exact position at any time - because those homeless living are our streets with no place to call their own - are people too...



This year a beautiful - inside and out - cousin of mine decided to take a collection of clothes up to one of the homeless shelters in Belfast. She put in on facebook that she was planning a trip up and asked if anyone had anything they'd like to donate. The shelter was looking for warm clothes, blankets and sleeping bags to deliver to those who couldn't find a bed in the shelters and would be on the streets this Christmas. She had so many offers that she has to take two car loads up! It has been amazing to be able to talk to our boys about how easily people can find themselves with no options and nowhere to go, and that these charities and shelters offer them hope - just like Jesus offers us hope. So what better way to pass that on than to help out where its needed...

"For I was hungry, and you fed me. I was thirsty, and you gave me a drink. I was a stranger, and you invited me into your home. I was naked, and you gave me clothing. I was sick, and you cared for me. I was in prison, and you visited me.’ “Then these righteous ones will reply, ‘Lord, when did we ever see you hungry and feed you? Or thirsty and give you something to drink? Or a stranger and show you hospitality? Or naked and give you clothing? When did we ever see you sick or in prison and visit you?’ “And the King will say, ‘I tell you the truth, when you did it to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were doing it to me!’ "
Matthew 25:35-40

I'm sure there are charities all over the world who try to reach the homeless at this time of year, but for those living in good old Northern Ireland here's a link for one the Belfast ones. 
and it tells you how you can get involved this Christmas.
Keep shining xx 

No comments:

Post a Comment