Tuesday, 14 January 2014

Being priceless...

Yesterday we looked at Proverbs 31:10 and had a little think about in what it meant (and didn't mean!) to be a priceless woman of God. So today I am going to think what it means in relation to my relationships with my family. 



Like most mothers out there I have lots of photos of my children and very few of me and my hubby. This may be for any number of reasons, but it also has something to do with the pain in the neck getting a picture of the two of us turns out to be! It's a long process - that usually involves banning the children from the area, entrusting one of them with the camera and, in this case, smiling while trying to get them to stay in one place and not chase each other down the waterfront! My life is never boring! 

As I look at photos of my family I am struck by how much I love them and how different they all are. My husband was the only one I chose - we met at school, started dating in university and got married at the end of his first year teaching. I chose him to be the person I would share my life with, and grow old with, God-willing. And it's not been without it's ups and downs, it's good times and it's tough times. We have both needed to forgive and be forgiven. We have both needed to be humble and make a decision to love no matter what. But 13 years later we are still going strong. 

My problem is when I think about being a 'priceless' wife or a 'virtuous' wife, I feel that I fall well short of the mark. I love looking at the book of Ruth - not only because of her amazing relationship with her mother-in-law, but because she is a wonderful example of a virtuous woman. She was hard-working, loyal, loving, committed. She had a tremendous strength in the midst of all the sadness she had to endure, and was willing to go the extra mile for those she loved. 

When I look at my life I realise I have a lot to do before he could describe me like that. I have been created to be my husband's help-meet. I am here to help him with everything he does - in work (I do all his admin), in raising the boys, and to meet his needs - physically (food, clothing), mentally (giving him good conversation and not just waffling about a tv show or what all went wrong today), spiritually (lifting him to God when we talk about things that are worrying him etc) and sexually (ahem!! - in the way only a wife can). I want to meet all his needs so he feels truly loved and cared for - and to keep our house as somewhere he can rest and have a haven from any outside worries or pressures. 

That's what I want.... but at the moment that's not exactly what I have. I fall short because I'm human and because sometimes I allow my kids or my work or my hobbies - yes even church things - to creep up and come before him in the pecking order, giving them so much more time, effort and care. I need to refocus on him this year so that he can say without a doubt that I am his joy and a gift from God (Proverbs 19:14).

My aim this week is to truly put him first (after God of course!) and to show him how amazing I think he is. I want him to feel safe, secure, loved and blessed by having me in his life, rather than frazzled, annoyed, frustrated or cursed!! I have so much influence in how our home feels, the atmosphere I create, and the peace I spread, and I pray that this week (and from now on) he will walk in after a hard day's work and notice that God is at work in our home :)

What special things will you be doing to show your husband you are a priceless and virtuous wife? 
Keep shining xx 

No comments:

Post a Comment