Thursday, 6 March 2014

Day 2/40 - Create a generosity jar

TODAY'S CHALLENGE - Create a generosity jar



I don't know about you, but every week there is some money that I spend that I don't need to. I'm not talking millions of pounds, or hundreds of pounds, or even tens of pounds. They would be noticeable. This money I'm talking about isn't. It's the money spent on that extra chocolate bar or bun with your coffee. It's the money for the coffee itself. Or the money for the daily paper - every single day.

I attended Bible College for 3 years, one day a week. Every Monday I would travel up to the college 40 minutes from our home, and every Monday, without fail, I stopped off at a certain fast food establishment (which shall not be named!!) half way through my journey, and bought myself a cup of take-away coffee. I would use the drive-thru and open the top of the coffee as I drove the rest of my journey. Not only did this cool the coffee down, but it allowed the beautiful smell to waft around the car. I loved that!! 

But realistically that was just over £1 that I spent EVERY Monday. Money I didn't need to spend. I have a travel mug at home so there was no reason that I couldn't have filled it up before I left the house and had the exact same effect. And I admit that most of the time it wasn't just coffee on its own... 

So my challenge to myself this Lent is to watch every penny I spend and if I feel that the purchase is nice but unnecessary (like my beautiful coffee), put the money into the jar instead. I'm also going to set myself two personal challenges. I do a lot of laundry - and I mean A LOT!!! - so for all of Lent, I am going to add £1 to the jar for every load landed (washed, dried, ironed and put away!!) and I am also in the middle of a wonderful weight loss/getting healthy journey, so I will also add in £1 for every pound of weight I lose over Lent. And at the end of the 40 days I'll count it up and decide what to do with it - now that's the really fun part! 


Whoever is generous to the poor lends to the LORD,
and he will repay him for his deed.
Proverbs 19:17


For me this is about sacrificing our own desires and understanding that we need to be truly content with what we have, not waste money on foolish things that we don't need, while it could be going to someone or something that really needs it instead. What's going inside your generosity jar?
Keep shining xx 


For more information on today's challenge and the devotional to go with it, check out http://www.40acts.org.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment