Wednesday, 28 May 2014

Quiet time examples...

So to finish off looking at our G in GROWTH - getting to know God by reading the Bible - we are going to look at a couple of examples using the SOAP and WORD methods. They are interchangeable and both are easy enough to learn. 




So we'll start with the SOAP.
For this example we are going to look at a passage in Colossians 3. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SOAP - Colossians 3:15-17
(I would read the whole section - which I'm this case is Colossians 3:12-17 - before I focus on the verses for today) 

S - SCRIPTURE
"Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful. Let the message of Christ dwell among you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom through psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit, singing to God with gratitude in your hearts. And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him." (Colossians 3:15-17 NIV)

O/A - OBSERVATIONS / APPLICATIONS
I noticed something about today's verses that I had never noticed before. I love this passage and I seem to have read it a lot, but I love it when you can read something well known and God brings something new to your mind. The end of verse 17 read like this is the Message -

"Let every detail in your lives—words, actions, whatever—be done in the name of the Master, Jesus, thanking God the Father every step of the way."

I have to say I NEVER noticed the 'thanking God every step of the way' bit before. That's the beauty of looking at lots of different translations and versions as we do these verses! But not only that - in these three verses alone we are told to be thankful three times! It is something that I take for granted - saying a quick grace before our food or thanking God for answered prayer - in extreme situations or specific problems. But I am nowhere near thankful enough when I consider where God has brought me to and what He has saved me from. 

We are to be thankful when we have the peace that comes from working together and being unified in our faith. We are to be thankful when we help each other along in our faith, working together to lift each other up instead of the worlds view of knocking each other out of the way. And we are to thank God every step of the way as we do everything to His Glory - whether its speaking to a room full of women, washing a sink full of dishes or changing a crying baby's nappy for the tenth time that morning. 

Such a lot of reasons to be thankful and no excuses not to do it!! 

P - PRAYER
Heavenly Father, we thank you for everything You have given us and for everything You have done for us. We take You for granted so much, and even though we know we need to do everything for Your glory, we forget the basic necessity of taking time out to thank You properly and constantly. We are so ungrateful sometimes Lord, asking, expecting You to come through for us, wanting peace, love, wisdom, things... And yet never thanking You for the basic things You give us, never mind the amazing and wonderful gifts You give us each day, thank You Lord. Help me to be more thankful today and really work on having a heart full of gratitude. Amen xx

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So this was an example of a passage we looked at in one of the GMG studies. I am a bit of a waffler - just in case you hadn't guessed that from my posts!! - so you don't need to write that much, and I tend to think as I write so that's why I mixed my observations and applications instead of separating them. 

And here's an example of a passage using the WORD method.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Passage read - Psalm 63

W - WORD 
"You satisfy me more than the richest feast. I will praise you with songs of joy."
Psalms 63:5 NLT

O - OBSERVE 
God is much more satisfying than anything - even the best food or east ever. We need to sing songs of praise to Him. 

R - REFLECT
I have a problem with food. I love eating and I love food, but I don't often get to sit back and feel satisfied with what I eat -  too often it's either been shoved in quickly and not savoured or I have been a glutton and eaten far too much and ended up feeling so full I feel ill. 

So to me this verse makes me very emotional. It speaks to me of a God who can take my battle with food and turn it upside down; a God who can satisfy me and make me feel complete and 'full' without the guilt or shame that usually accompanies my eating - especially since so much of it is hidden from earthly eyes; a God who cares enough about me and my eating disorder (I'm an emotional overeater - and believe me it's definitely an disorder) that He placed this verse in his Word to finally get through my thick skull that He cares and loves me and wants me to be more than the 42.5% fat that I am. {Tears are flowing!}

Aw girls - this is an amazing verse - I just had a 'WOW' moment and I am overwhelmed by God's love. 

'I will praise you with songs of joy' - Oh Lord I praise Your wonderful name and thank You for this verse. May my heart swell with praise and songs of joy over the next weeks and months as you help me turn this journey around to something that can truly glorify Your name.

D - DO
The challenge is to remember this verse and to really use it when faced with emotional situations and the longing to binge eat occurs. I am going to type it our (all fancy!!!) and print it out to put in my kitchen - on the cupboard that houses the treats. I need to actively call it to memory and let it remind me to pray and let God take control and to worship Him knowing He is my satisfaction - not food. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope that this has given you an idea of what you can do to make your quiet time a truly amazing time between you and God, where you can really learn what he wants you to learn and what He wants to reveal to you. Warning - it can be an emotional roller coaster but it's definitely worth every minute spent in His presence :) 
Keep shining xx 

No comments:

Post a Comment