Tuesday, 26 May 2015

Who I am... part five


I am beautiful…

“You made all the delicate, inner parts of my body

and knit me together in my mother’s womb.

 

Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex!

Your workmanship is marvellous—how well I know it.

 

You watched me as I was being formed in utter seclusion,

as I was woven together in the dark of the womb.

 

You saw me before I was born.

Every day of my life was recorded in your book.

Every moment was laid out before a single day had passed”

 

Psalm 139:13-16

 

I mentioned before about the impossible standards women are expected to meet nowadays. Teenage girls especially, are growing up with impossible standards around them. Girls who actually look like Barbie, or models who are stick thin. Even the ‘good’ role models are under pressure – just think back to how much pressure Kate was under to look fabulous less than a day after she gave birth to Princess Charlotte. Or think how much pressure the fashion industry puts on girls to look amazingly thin… in order to fit their amazingly small clothes. It’s not right. The other day I was reading an article in a girlie magazine where an actress was being told she’d put on too much weight. And this was a double page spread about her varying sizes. With all of this in the media and around us, is it any wonder there are so many girls (and guys) with eating disorders and low self-esteem issues. But we need to remember that we are more than the brand of clothes we wear, or the size label on our favourite jeans, or the number that shows up when we stand on the scales. We are wonderfully and fearfully made by a creator who loves us more than we could ever imagine. And He doesn’t get things wrong. We are His. He made us. And we are each made in a completely unique way. We need to embrace this, praise God for His creation and realise that we truly are beautiful.
 

Keep shining xx 

No comments:

Post a Comment