Friday, 7 August 2015

It is finished...

Over the course of the lengthy drives we've had this summer, I found out my youngest son's favourite song. It's a bit of a strange one considering he's only 7!! 


It's a song called 'It is finished', written by Bill and Gloria Gaither, and the version we have in the car is by The Gaither Vocal Band. Here's a wee clip of them performing it : 




My son loves it because he has a really funny 'loud' voice which is slightly operatic sounding and so he sings along with the GVB. But he also loves the words. 

As I read through them I could see why. Not only does he have a legitimate reason to sing the word 'hell' (he is a 7 year old boy!!) but he also loves the imagery of a war going on - a war where God wins and the victory is ours. 

There are several lines that really touch me right where I am today.



"Yet in my heart, the battle was still raging
Not all prisoners of war had come home
These were battlefields of my own making
I didn't know that the war had been won
Oh, but then I heard the king of the ages
Had fought all the battles for me
And that victory was mine for the claiming
And now praise his name, I am free."


This is where I've been - fighting battles of my own making - battles with food. I think I've mentioned before about being a binge eater (if not I'll share that next week) and although I'm much better than I used to be, it's still a very real battle for me. 

But Christ gave my victory over everything and that includes food. There's nothing stronger than Him - not even my appetite! 

So as I seek to balance my life, one of my major issues is to get fit and healthy and to lose the extra 5 stone I accumulated over the last ten or fifteen years. 



This week I managed to lose 5.5 lbs and I am so happy. It's all in His strength - for without Him I can do nothing. I will be keeping you up to date with this battle - as I learn to claim victory in this area - but if you want to follow more closely you can follow my other blog/page - 'The Wonders of Dieting Together'.  

"So I say, walk by the Spirit, 
and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh"
Galations 5:16


No comments:

Post a Comment