Saturday, 20 May 2017

I am vulnerable

I didn't think this challenge could get any more difficult but wow is today's hard!!! 


I am vulnerable... 


The definition of being vulnerable is "capable of or susceptible to being wounded or hurt."


For most of us, it means opening up to people, letting them see the real me and hoping they still like me. It's a very hard thing to do. 


Don't get me wrong - I realise that in writing my blog I am making myself vulnerable, but that's online, and even when people I know read it, most wouldn't talk about it so it's still kind of hidden. I don't know who reads it and who doesn't so the fear of rejection isn't there. 


And we are all scared of rejection. I wrote a whole blog post on rejection this time last year, but ironically I've not posted it yet - in case it's too vulnerable! 


We don't want people to be able to see all the parts we hide - because we don't want them to think less of us. 


But we really need to for a number of reasons. 



Our Pastor is doing a brilliant series in church at the moment on being real in our relationships - especially within the church. He is helping us to open up, be vulnerable with each other and love one another. John 13:34 actually commands us to "love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another". 


But vulnerability also helps us in our relationship with God. If we have good friends that we can really open up to, they can help us grow. James 5:16 tells us to "confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed." 


This doesn't mean that our friends can heal us or get rid of our sin, but what they can do is pray, encourage us and help us to make the right decisions as we go along our daily lives. I am blessed truly by having friends like this. They allow me to open up and they allow me a safe place to be vulnerable. 


And yet there are still so many parts of my life that I keep hidden for so long that I would be terrified to let them out. 


This summer I took a really big step on this and was truly blessed by some amazing friends. 


I am a hoarder and suffice to say I had a huge problem in my garage. I don't let people see inside there - like never - but this summer I let my best friend, my sister and another wonderful friend in to my garage and let them see me. And do you know what? They saw, they loved, they helped and we conquered!! I now have a play room in my garage where piles of stuff used to be. 



Being vulnerable is good. 


But most of all, being vulnerable helps us to learn the following in real life - 


"But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong."
1 Corinthians 12:9-10


God truly comes through loud and clear when we trust Him with our vulnerabilities and weaknesses. He gives us the strength and power to do what we need to do, allowing us to truly glorify Him in everything. 


I don't know about you, but this definitely helps me be vulnerable. Because deep inside I know God has me. And even if the worst happens and people can't handle the real me - God always can and always will love me for the real me. And to be that's the sweetest gift of all. 


Now... there are two more questions in the 'prompts' and I'll share them here - but to be honest I'm scared of looking inwards to answer these. 


  • In what area of your life are you afraid of being rejected?
  • How have I been limiting myself by avoiding the fear of being rejected?


They are definitely going to need some thinking about! So I may share my answers at the end of my 30 days... 


Keep shining xx 




No comments:

Post a Comment