Tuesday, 16 May 2017

The Voice of Truth

Today's prompt was to think about the negative voices we hear, and consider if they have any use or anything that we can learn from them.


Why do my voices of ‘not enough’ exist? What are they trying to tell me?


All around us, right from childhood we are surrounded by voices telling us we are not enough. From the child whose daddy leaves home (and her) behind, to the teenager who is always considered the 'big girl' at youth group, to the young adult constantly trying to keep up with what everyone else is doing... we all struggle with voices that tell us we aren't enough - whether it's not good enough or smart enough or thin enough or sexy enough or Christian enough. 

 

A couple of examples from my life : 

  • I struggle with the thought that I'm not smart enough or in a good enough job because I didn't fulfil my dream of becoming a teacher. 
  • While I have struggled with my weight for most of my adult life, I still hate going clothes shopping because most stores aren't there to help you feel 'enough'. Instead we're fed images of super skinny women who would look good in a bin bag. 
  • All I have to do is look around my house to see that I'm not good enough at cleaning or housekeeping or cooking - all things I should have 'down' by now. 


In her book 'Core Lies' Sarah Mae explains it like this - 


"A core lie is something we believe that resides so deep down inside of us that it has almost become a part of our personality." 


We believe them so much that they become part of us. 


But it doesn't have to be like this. 


There's a Casting Crowns song which is beautiful and especially relevant to this topic. 





The voice of God's truth tells us such a different story. The devil (and his snarky wee voice) is there to steal, kill and destroy (John 10:10). But God's Word is here to heal, give life to, bless and teach us (2 Timothy 3:16). 


No matter how many times we argue with the voices we can still end up believing them instead of God. And it steals all the joy out of our lives. 


So next time we hear the negative voices - reach  for your Bible and read about how wonderful you actually are - straight from the lips and heart of your Creator. 


Keep shining xx 

6 comments:

  1. So would love to talk about this.

    I've always had the similar issues but then again don't we all have in, not being enough or negative thoughts.

    One thing I hold onto is, that God says I am enough & you are too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are definitely enough! Tx

      Delete
    2. I know it's easy to say we are enough but to actually believe is another story.

      After my exam at uni today, I feel far from enough. I got a pass in the exam but to being with others who got better marks,with doing no work makes it very hard to know I am enough, after the hours & days studying. today just like most days I struggle with am I smart enough, but more so today due to the exam.

      If I'm tbh, it's actually painful, the feeling that is.

      Delete
    3. It is painful. But you are smart enough and we can live rejoicing that no matter what God has an even better plan for us than we can imagine!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete